Any way for the compiled VBA code to work without generating .exe

Hi,

Is there any way to get the padlock compiled vba code to work without converting the file to an .exe? I have an enterprise product and distributing the .exe is causing more headaches than its worth (even after getting EV code signing cert). I can get use the vba compiler to hide some of my code but it doesn’t seem that I’m able to use without also compiling to a .exe file. Is that correct?

Thanks

Hi xlspadlock_user,
It’s my understanding that the EXE is the magic here. It creates a virtual environment that covers and shell’s the actual Excel file in a sort of random file location each time it runs, very difficult to sniff out. Not only that but the EXE is what gives your Excel file all the magic powers, like formula and VBA protection. They’re not native things Excel can do without the EXE pulling the magic strings.
Can you share a bit about your headaches with distribution, maybe we can help with ideas for you.
Thanks
Dan

Hello, (from a User)

Yes it’s true that .exe files can cause lots of issues with everything from installations to antivirus software as well as not being able to email them.

However, you can always save your file as an .xlsc file and just install the .exe somewhere else (in C:/Program Files, etc.).
Since .xlsc files are benign (unlike .exe files) if you also ‘file extension associate’ the .xlsc file to your installed exe file’s location then the client can just click the .xlsc file to open!

We are also working on another product similar to our VBA compiler. It would let you produce COM add-ins from your VBA macros by packing them into single DLL files ready to be used with normal Excel workbooks. A bit different than XLS Padlock, as there will be no EXE shell nor direct Excel workbook protection. Optionally, these DLL files could also have some licensing system, similar to the one in XLS Padlock. That means you could for instance have customers pay for using your macros in DLL format.