Can I protect an Excel ADDIN with XLS Padlock?

Hello, I have developed an Excel Addin

Can I apply XlsPadLock to an Excel AddIn or it only protects Workbooks?

Thanks!

Currently, we only support workbooks. What is the format of your add-in?

Hi @rolo and @gdgsupport,
I agree. If there was a way to protect .xlam files (Excel Add-Ins), this would likely double your sales, because currently the only true way to protect an add-in is with Add-In Express and it’s expensive and not even VBA language.

If we could protect an Add-In, we could support companies with ongoing product updates and they could depend on our new functions and procedures that they could use in their own workbooks.

Thanks

Dan Strong, excelvbaisfun

Do you need some VBA compiler to produce protected XLAM files? In other words, a XLAM file that could run code compiled with a compiler similar to the one in XLS Padlock?

Possibly. I’m not sure the technicalities, but an XLAM is just an excel file that is invisibly opened along with the user’s primary excel documents, similar to the personal.xlsb file. It enables people to use its functions or subs, but I believe password hacking programs can surely crack these also, making them just as vulnerable as excel files that you help us protect.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Dan

Sure; XLAM has no real protection. The problem is interesting, we’ll check in the future.