Code certification not working?

Hi,

I am trying to use a digital certificate for my executable file. However, the certification process seems to have failed, as windows doesn’t show me the certificate afterwards. I tried to change the setting to “use signtool.exe” and provived the path, but that does not have seemed to make a difference.

Upon checking the compilation log, all it shows is “checking digital signature” and a blank page.

Is it not working currently or am I doing something wrong? Please let me know if you need any further information.

Best regards,

Andreas

“checking digital signature” doesn’t appear in the standard compilation log when you build your publication. Did you check the log after compilation? (Don’t use Check digital signature, otherwise the log is cleared).

Hi,

I now checked the log after comilation and it gave me this:

Signing the publication .exe file…
Publication has been signed with success.

So it seems to have worked, however I cannot see the digital signature in the properties of the file. Is there any way to check if it has worked correctly?

Please tell me if you need any further information or the full log.

Best regards,

Andreas

You should have more lines between “Signing the publication .exe file…” and “Publication has been signed with success.”. Ignore SignTool and revert back to the default signing program.
What is your Windows version? Do you have a recent .net framework? Finally any antivirus program?

Please also check that GSignCode.exe is in the HTML Executable folder. What happens if you double-click on it?

Hi,

I disabled the signtool and reverted back to default. Now I get a log that states an error with a code that hopefully helps you AND successful signing…

Signing the publication .exe file…
GSignCode – simple code signing utility
Copyright G.D.G. Software 2011-2012. All rights reserved.
Certificate:
Signing…
Digital Sign API FAILED error code #-2146881269
Publication has been signed with success.

I am using Windows 8.1 64 Bit with almost all Windows Updates installed (one or two just don’t work and never get installed).
I did update my .net framework, but that was maybe half a year ago. Does it update automatically?
The antivirus and firewall I am using is Bitdefender 2015 Total Security.

Double clicking on the file opens up the cmd and it seems to be working alright as far as I can tell.

I hope this information helps you solving this issue.

Best regards,

Andreas

The GSignCode.exe must connect to the Internet in order to perform signing. Make sure your firewall allows it.
Maybe this can also help:
https://blog.airler.de/2013/05/code-signing-mit-finalbuilder/

Hi,

changing the timestamp URL has indeed done the trick. Thank you!

As I am not too experienced in digital certification - is it a problem that I am using a different timestamp URL now and not the one provided with my certificate?

Best regards,

Andreas

No, we also use another timestamp server ourselves, and it works fine.