EXE just stopped working on Windows/11 with Office 365

We just had an exe fail on Windows 11 with Excel 365…2 hours before a critical annual meeting! It worked yesterday and all we did was compile and provide a signature. Couldn’t use the .exe module. Any ideas?

Followup … worked the morning after. No idea why?

That’s horrible. So sorry to hear that happened. Any clue what happened and do you know if it was only that particular computer or were there other computers affected?
Also curious if you have hardware locking or other security measures instead.
Thanks
Dan

Thesis for teaching out to me.

Only one computer. We have hardware locking. The key was set to expire at the end of June. It was my daughter’s computer and we haven’t distributed it yet. We’re still in a development phase but needed to use it to help a client on a last minute basis. She had windows 11 updates pending even though a reboot didn’t do it. I have her a .xlsx version to use she could work without the vba part. Obviously nothing like the security with your padlock.

Will try to recreate they problem before she takes vacation. Let me know if you want me information about her computer. Works for on my windows 10 desktop and windows 11 surface pro.

Steve Glanstein (cell phone)

Hello,

Spoke with my daughter again.

Here’s a better chronology:

1. Failure message on .exe
  2. Closed a bunch of windows.
  3. Same failure message
  4. Closed all and rebooted
  5. Same failure message
  6. Connected to internet (considering possible problem with Office 265 verification?)
  7. Same failure message
  8. Installed .xlsx for her to use (obviously no VBA code)
  9. .xlsx worked for limited purposes
  10. Next morning: checked .exe and it appeared to work.

Possibly running an actual .xlsx from Excel made it work?

Steve Glanstein

+1 (808) 423-6766

[email protected]

Notice: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Please virus check all attachments to prevent widespread contamination and corruption of files and operating systems. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of the Federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 and similar state laws. This communication does not reflect an intention by the sender or the sender’s client or principal to conduct a transaction or make any agreement by electronic means. Nothing contained in this message or in any attachment shall satisfy the requirements for a writing, and nothing contained herein shall constitute a contract or electronic signature under the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, any version of the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or any other statute governing electronic transactions.

That is super weird indeed. I’m not exactly sure how to reproduce these conditions that caused this issue. You did have Excel and MS Office installed prior to this, right? When you say you installed the XLSX file, you just mean you copied a file, not an installation of MS office, right?
Thanks
Dan

Correct. Just copied the file so she could use it.

Steve Glanstein (cell phone)

That could be the culprit here. If Office 365 fails to validate the license, the EXE file made with XLS Padlock will fail to load properly. It’s because Microsoft blocks a lof of features if the license has expired or could not be validated.

It’s back again …

We have a valid license.

Even checked the registry. Excel is there. This is happening on 2022.0a

What is the path to the Excel.exe on the faulty computer?
For instance, it should be something like:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\excel.exe
If not, please post the path here for review.

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.Desktop.Excel_16051.15225.20288.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Office16"

Ran a DOS prompt (elevated) to search for excel.exe on the “C” Drive and received the following:

Volume in drive C is Local Disk

Volume Serial Number is 8471-B1A1

Directory of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.Desktop.Excel_16051.15330.20230.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Office16

07/08/2022 01:08 PM 48,437,080 EXCEL.EXE

1 File(s) 48,437,080 bytes

Directory of C:\Users\rglan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps

07/11/2022 08:07 PM 0 excel.exe

1 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of C:\Users\rglan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.Desktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe

07/11/2022 08:07 PM 0 excel.exe

1 File(s) 0 bytes

Total Files Listed:

3 File(s) 48,437,080 bytes

0 Dir(s) 244,848,160,768 bytes free

|

• |

Steve Glanstein

+1 (808) 423-6766

[email protected]

Looks like you installed Office desktop apps with the Microsoft store.
It’s better to install them from https://www.office.com/ if you have a Microsoft 365 account.

Hello,

We can’t control the Microsoft software in the field. We can insist on a minimum Excel level but there could be 100 computers out there with Excel 2016, 2019, and 365. How can we make the .exe file work with all versions of Office 365?

Steve Glanstein

+1 (808) 423-6766

[email protected]

Please update to the latest XLS Padlock 2022 release available.
Moreover, in our experience, it is shown that the Microsoft Store version of Office is being deprecated and no longer installed. Microsoft wants all users to use the “click-to-run” version of Office.com for desktops, which works as expected with XLS Padlock.
If your customers meet problems, they better install Microsoft 365 from https://www.office.com/

Hello,

Sorry … I can’t log in to XLSPadlock …

No license for XLS Padlock was found in your G.D.G. Software account. You cannot access the My Account page on this website.

Steve Glanstein

+1 (808) 423-6766

[email protected]

Notice: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Please virus check all attachments to prevent widespread contamination and corruption of files and operating systems. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of the Federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 and similar state laws. This communication does not reflect an intention by the sender or the sender’s client or principal to conduct a transaction or make any agreement by electronic means. Nothing contained in this message or in any attachment shall satisfy the requirements for a writing, and nothing contained herein shall constitute a contract or electronic signature under the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, any version of the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or any other statute governing electronic transactions.

Please send me your activation code and account’s username in PM.

Just removed your previous post because your activation code is confidential. I made a change and so it should be working for the username you specified.

Thanks. Was able to sign on.

Steve Glanstein

+1 (808) 423-6766

[email protected]

1 Like