How do you deactivate/remove licences from users PCs

Hello,
I have successfully built and released my exe, and have subscrriptions working on my server. Whilst “stress” testing the process, I have come across one issue where I have activated the application on my PC, and then tidied my orders up in woocomerce and deleted the associated order. Whilst I understand this is bad practice, I have an issue that means when I open the app in order to try and activate a new purchase, I do not get prompted for the activation key, it simply says the associated order is unavailable and I can do nothing. Obviously I can use the remove keys functionality on my XLS Padlock, but what happens if saomething similar happens on a users PC.

Also, what happens if a user cancels their order, and purchases a new, unrelated subscription a month or 2 later, How does the executable validate the licence if it is associated with a cancelled order?

Thanks i nadvance, Paul

Is anyone able to advise on this please? I have sold a variation (1 week trial) of my product, and the only way for customers to continue using it after 1 week, is to purchase a monthly or quarterly subscription in a new order. Does this mean they are going to be locked out, and if so, how do I deal with this please? This is urgent for me to deal with IF it is a problem?

The support service has been working poorly here for a long time. They may not respond for more than a month. Or they can ask a clarifying question instead of an answer, and then forget about you. Or they may ignore you altogether and leave you unanswered.
I haven’t been able to get an answer to a simple question for almost two months.

1 Like

Yes, I know. I had a nightmare trying to get subsciptions working with their recommended Fastspring (who were brilliant in their attempts to support me) but just got nowhere, and after months of trying gave up and went back to woocommerce subscriptions.
Its incredibly frustrating, as XLS Padlock as a solution is brilliant, but I very worried I am about to end up with a number of clients who are unable to use the application as it will become locked, and I will have no way of unlocking their machines.
I actually made contact with someone who knows one of the developers so am going to reach out to find out why they appear to have given up with this product - I suspect its just not proiftable for them so not worth their time, especially if there is only one or two of them doing all the work

Is anyone able to answer this please. I have deleted an order that a user was using to test for me, and now there machine is locked from accessing the app. I have reenabled the order, but nothing seems to work. How on earth do I clear the users PC, so it at least prompts for a new activation key?

You can run the EXE with the “-enterkey” parameter. This will force the EXE file to ask for a new activation key and you’ll be able to activate again.

Terrific, could you please explain how to use the “-enterkey”parameter" procedure exactly? As I’ve heard you mention it before,but I haven’t been able to use it yet.

Thanks!

Win+R, then enter the location to your EXE file between quotes, followed by -enterkey

For example:
"C:\Documents\My File.exe" -enterkey

Learn more here:

Thank you but this method is unfortunately unusable in every way due to C:/Users… (user installed locations)
(There is no way the average client would accurately know or properly convey their exe location, etc)

At the very least it would be great to have the option buried somewhere in the main launch screen

Please add an option to include a choice selection (or an icon) to view or enter a new license key in your menu above.

Otherwise there is no way we can help the client change their key until after it already expires which is very frustrating for the client and which is why we can’t use it (we still have to resort to using DoneEx so that we can email them a new key).

2 Likes

At the very least it would be great to have the option buried somewhere in the main launch screen

Great point @TheUser . Although validation (at least the online one) occurs before th process gets to this point, but logic definitely says there should be some option for this reset somewhere (i.e. at the actual time of validation, where the keys are prompted for in the same way as if there is no key).

Absolutely, there just needs to be a way to reset a key after the program is installed (instead of the key expiring and shutting off the client in order to enter a new key).

We simply cannot issue ‘lifetime’ keys (in case of returns, or if they change PCs or users, etc), so we must set an ‘expiration date’ which means the key will expire (30-90 days, etc) and the user will be turned off. There is simply no way to ‘popup the activation window’ to enter a new ‘permanent’ key after the program is installed (only when the key expires and locks them out of the program).

Sure we have tried to generate a new key for them ahead of time and email it to them prior to expiration date, but user has no place to enter it until it expires and program is dead, this archaic method has caused so much aggravation for both parties it has forced clients to look elsewhere for another software program – because this method is so archaic.

The fix seems so simple; since XLSPadlock already has a method to re-popup the activation window (-enterkey) after installed (this is the hard part), then it should be easily accessible somehow on the main launch menu (which is the common area to all or apps (.exes).
Since it already knows the C:/User… location of it’s own .exe, then there should be an easy way for them to implement the(-enterkey)method with a simple selection choice or icon in the launch menu.

1 Like

I do not want to take away the valid points @TheUser is highlighting - this really should be made foolprooth as I am sure we can all agree, the weakest link for any process like this is usually the end users, but can @gdgsupport or anyone else, provide a list of all command line switches available please. It feels that everytime I scratch the surface of XLSPadlock, I find out another useful clippit of functionality that is either undocumented, or hidden very well! It took me months (literally) to get subscriptions working on my website and I some of the settings I needed to make are definitely undocumented.

Interesting idea. Surely, we can add that option to this menu (and the New menu if there is no save).

Sure, it’s in the documentation: EXE Command-line switches

Yes, please if you can add it as a ‘high priority’ for next update…