Install Visual C+ vc_redist.x86.exe if user needs

I am packaging up a exeout project exe for install. Since Windows needs vc_redist.x86.exe for php7, like to make seamless for users.

The Windows message if “vc_redist.x86.exe” is missing for php7 is wrong and really confusing users:

Since the message should tell user to install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, causing me many headaches, good ole Windows…

My question is how can I setup Paquet to install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 for user if not installed already?

Have tried a few different ways after reading Working with Microsoft Windows Installer packages - Paquet Builder Documentation but can’t seem to find a working solution. If there is no way, have you any tips/ideas on how to solve this?

Users are teachers in a different time zone and causing me many extra hours of work trying to support. Sure appreciate any help you (or other users) can provide.

Good news, the incoming version of ExeOutput (2018) will compile Visual C++ Redistributable files into the final EXE by default, and automatically take care of that. So, there will be no dependency anymore.

That is wonderful news!

But, I really need to get something going as software will soon be downloaded many, many times after teachers return from Holidays.

There is no way to prompt users to install C+ using Paquet today?

Any ideas when EXEOut 2018 will be released?

Thank you!

Sure, there is always a way to check whether the runtime is available and then install it.

We’re updating the documentation and samples. Then more deeper test suites will begin. Should be available next week.

Okay. sounds top secret:wink:

Since this must be top secret, can you tell me if I am on right track here Working with Microsoft Windows Installer packages - Paquet Builder Documentation

After 3 hours of trying, just like to know if on right track to solve my issue.

It’s no secret. You must include the MS installer EXE into your PB package and use a custom action to run the EXE silently.
Use the custom action Execute a program and set its property named WaitUntilEnd to true.
See https://www.installpackbuilder.com/help/execute-program-file
Command-line parameters should be /install /quiet /norestart so that the EXE is installed silently.

Just joking. Been a long 24 hours.

I will give that a try, looks like I was over thinking the whole process.

Thank you for the tips.

Sorry for yet another question.

Where is the best place to install Visual C+: Package Main Events (finalization) or Package Dialog Events (before final screen)?

Best is “After file extraction”

Does this look right:

Doesn’t seem to work and sure it is my thick skull.

Got it working. Had to uninstall old exe and do fresh install.

Now got to figure out how to tell user installing extra software. There is a very long lag time while C+ is installed.

Thanks for all the help.

1 Like

Is it possible/ok to include these DLL’s in the PHP folder:

And solve the missing DLL problem?

Wanted to get your professional opinion before trying with Paguet / EXEout. Gave it a try and not sure if actually working from php folder or from dll’s on computer.

Thanks

PS: started to open new thread in EXEOut forum. If that is where you prefer this question, please let me know.

Sure, you can place these DLL files in the EXE folder (not the Data subfolder) and it will work.

In the EXE folder? Not sure I follow.

The dll files should go in which folder? Since you mention the Data subfolder, assuming place in folder with my compiled exe?

Hopefully when exeout 2018 is out will no longer have to worry about this, but in mean time got to carry on with my business.

Thanks!

ExeOutput 2018 will be out next week.
In the folder of the EXE you made with ExeOutput.