New user problems

As a new user I have the following problems:
2 Roll-up: When I try to minimise Gsplit, instead of minmising it it goes into a vey narrow shape with which I can do nothing. It seems to be called “roll-up” and I can’t see the use of it. Worse still I can’t find an easy way to restore it into its windowed form - I can only maximise it. Is there some way of getting rid of this “roll-up” shape altogether?

2 I’ve set up a Profile file to enable all my splits to have the same basic parameters. My desired parameters are 4gb pieces and some self-uniting properties. I load this as default at start-up and it looks fine. However, as soon as I enter an “orginal file” name it changes my desired piece size to about 1.6gb which I don’t want. So then I have to go and manually set the size back to 4gb which negates the reason I have set up my profile. What do I need to do to ensure that all my sizes stay at 4gb without my having to keep reseting them to 4gb because Gplit has decided it wants 1.6gb piece sizes instead?

Thank you for your feedback.

1. Unfortunately, the roll-up button cannot be disabled. However, you can try another skin (available at http://www.gdgsoft.com/gsplit/resarea.aspx). If you get problems, you can always reset the window’s position by deleting the gsplitpref.xml file where preferences are stored.
  2. This is a known problem and we’ll offer an option to disable this automatic behavior in a future release.

[quote=“gdgsupport”]1) Unfortunately, the roll-up button cannot be disabled. However, you can try another skin (available at http://www.gdgsoft.com/gsplit/resarea.aspx). If you get problems, you can always reset the window’s position by deleting the gsplitpref.xml file where preferences are stored.[/quote]What exactly is the purpose of roll-up? I’m not aware of any other Windows program which has anything similar. In Windows I’m used to having only 3 choices in the top righthand part of a window (“minimise”, “maximize/restore” and “close” respectively). To have a fourth called “roll-up” which doesn’t seem to perform any useful function (and no “unroll”) is confusing as I keep thinking the left-hand option is “minimise”.

Roll-up lets you reduce the window to its title only, and then restore it to the default state. I’ll study whether this button can be set as optional if you think it may be confusing.

As a new user I cannot place values into the “Piece Name Mask”, Blocked Pieces entry fields and many other fields where the help says I should be able to enter values. However I am able to browse for source files and specify destination folder.

I installed GSplit using an Administrator id. Even when I run GSplit as an administrator, I cannot enter the fields mentioned above.

Please advise what I need to do to allow entry into fields as detailed in the help. I’m running Windows 7.

Thank you for your help.

What is your screen DPI setting?
96 or 120? See http://www.lawfirmsoftware.com/support/change_dpi_settings_vista.htm

There is a known bug of the skin engine for that fields. It happens when the font is too large to fit: characters can be typed but they are not displayed, so a workaround is to type the text in notepad and copy/paste it into the fields.