Problems with flash in Windows 8 [SOLVED]

I have a client who is complaining that the ebooks do not work properly in windows 8 - all of the flash files do not show up although she has flash updated in the PC. Also the PDF popups are not functional.

The compilations rely heavily on flash. What advice can I offer?

Charco

Which exact version of Flash player? Some of them are known to crash on Windows 8…

According to my client she has all of the updates - so she should be running the latest version.

I have problem with flash in Windows 8 too.
When I start my ebook project, a flash installation starts (but I have the last version of flash player).
You can try it - this is my project:
http://bulsub.com/download/English%20Trainer%202.exe

It looks like to be a local problem, as not all Windows 8 computers are showing problems with Flash.
Is your user working with some antivirus program? add-on for Internet Explorer like Flash blocker?

@iivanov2 it looks like you have some code to detect Flash? Did you check whether it is compatible with latest Flash version and/or Windows 8?

[quote=“gdgsupport”]It looks like to be a local problem, as not all Windows 8 computers are showing problems with Flash.
Is your user working with some antivirus program? add-on for Internet Explorer like Flash blocker?

@iivanov2 it looks like you have some code to detect Flash? Did you check whether it is compatible with latest Flash version and/or Windows 8?[/quote]
According to the Adobe website http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

Is this the problem?

How can we ensure that the compiled .exe is viewed as a compatible website?

The actual document explaining it is at: Developer guidance for websites with content for Adobe Flash Player in Windows 8 (Internet Explorer) | Microsoft Learn

Interesting… Looks like in **some **cases, you have to add to the HEAD section of your HTML pages if you want Flash to be played.
I haven’t found any problem with our Flash tests on Windows 8 desktop.

[quote=“gdgsupport”]Interesting… Looks like in **some **cases, you have to add to the HEAD section of your HTML pages if you want Flash to be played.
I haven’t found any problem with our Flash tests on Windows 8 desktop.[/quote]

I have sent two test files to my client, one with the meta tag and one without. I am waiting for a reply.

[quote=“gdgsupport”]It looks like to be a local problem, as not all Windows 8 computers are showing problems with Flash.

@iivanov2 it looks like you have some code to detect Flash? Did you check whether it is compatible with latest Flash version and/or Windows 8?[/quote]

I will check and test different way (embeding) to use flash, but this problem is only in htmlexe project not in IE browser.

[quote=“gdgsupport”]Interesting… Looks like in **some **cases, you have to add to the HEAD section of your HTML pages if you want Flash to be played.
I haven’t found any problem with our Flash tests on Windows 8 desktop.[/quote]

OK things are getting critical here. The software is not working with flash at all in Windows 8. I have sent test files to my client with the meta tag included and the program is throwing up errors, trying to install flash, not showing any flash content and gives javascript errors as well.

The client is running Windows 8 Enterprise edition.

Here is a screenshot of the flash error message from windows 8

Here is an example of the Compiled test file: http://ibchem.com/drop/lead-acid2.zip

This file works perfectly on all previous versions of Windows.

Everything I have tried with the HTMLexec compilation test program does not show up any flash in Windows 8. It looks like I will have to tell all of my clients that the software is not compatible with Windows 8.

It looks like you are hosting your Flash outside the EXE (on a remote server). Is it correct?
We have found a possible issue (new security restriction of Windows 8) and we are working on a fix.

[quote=“gdgsupport”]It looks like you are hosting your Flash outside the EXE (on a remote server). Is it correct?
We have found a possible issue (new security restriction of Windows 8) and we are working on a fix.[/quote]

No, the flash is compiled along with the HTML. I make the flash files myself - they are the main draw in the eBooks I sell.

The demo I sent has only 1 HTML page, one embedded flash file and one css file - it doesn’t work on Windows 8…

To charco and iivanov2, which version of HTML Executable are you using? Judging from the EXE format, it looks like it’s not the latest release of HTMLEXE.

I’m not using the latest version because, if you recall, there were scripting popup issues with the later versions.

http://www.gdgsoft.info/htmlexe-problems/popups-not-appearing-the-exe-compilation-t2385.html

I am using version 4.1.0, which was the last version in which I had no problems.

I tested your sample on Windows 8 and with our latest runtime version (4.5.4): it worked fine.
Popup issues have normally been fixed in recent 4.5.x releases. I recommend you to give a try.
HE 4.1 is no more supported.

[quote=“gdgsupport”]I tested your sample on Windows 8 and with our latest runtime version (4.5.4): it worked fine.
Popup issues have normally been fixed in recent 4.5.x releases. I recommend you to give a try.
HE 4.1 is no more supported.[/quote]

The popup issue was with HEscript not allowing me to use popups from the toolbar buttons. If this is now resolved then I will upgrade.

AFAIR, this problem was similar to other popup problems and fixed in HTML Executable 4.5. Please have a try.

Hi GDG, I have upgraded and compiled one of my products and it appears to be working fine!

The popup isues do not occur and it seems that Windows 8 is not having issues either. Good work!