Running a Padlocked App From Network Server?

Hello:
I have an Excel application that I run through your product and lock it to each computer with an activation code that is machine specific. I protected my app so that it can’t be taken to a competitor. The Excel application opens, and in less than a minute, it creates an XLSM file and the EXE goes away. Since each computer locks the activation code in the Registry, can I run the EXE from a server instead of having each analyst have a copy on their own system? There is a small chance that two people could try to run it at the same time. Will that create a warning?

Thanks,
Rich Locus

AFAIK the EXE must be started locally. It can’t run from a network shared folder. If you don’t want to use registry, you can also use the “portable mode” in Security page.

1 Like

Hello:
We found a solution to this issue. We place the Padlocked version on the server. Instead of running the EXE directly, the user runs a VBScript that compares the version numbers of the EXE on the server to the version number on the user’s local computer. If a newer version is on the server, then the script copies the newest server version to the local computer and then runs the EXE from the local computer. If the same version is on the server and the local computer, then the script runs the EXE from the user’s local computer.

Thanks,
Rich Locus