Using Environment variable %USERPROFILE%

Hi
I am evaluating Paquet Builder for building a self extracting exe and find it supports most of what I need. I have run into one issue though.

Our Software is going to be used by a few users running windows using Parallels on Mac. For such user the Desktop, Downloads, MyDocuments etc is mapped to a network path to mac. This is done by parallels so that Mac OS and Windows are both sharing the same desktop etc.

I want to give the default location of extraction to users Desktop but then because of the above its getting installed on the network path. I want it to physically get installed to C:/Users/Desktop

To be able to do that is I tried using a variable like %USERPROFILE% thinking that it would resolve to the environment variable but that does not seem to work.

I tried %APPDATADIR%…\Desktop for this and it worked but will be confusing to the end user.

My question is is there a way I can add a custom variable that resolved to environment variable like %USERPROFILE%

I think it will be a good addition to the software to pick any environment variable not just whats listed on the global variables.

Thanks
Mohit Mathew.

Fortunately, the feature you requested already exist. It’s the “Perform operation on a variable” custom action that can read environment variables:

The resulting variable is set to the value read from the Windows environment variable specified by Value. For instance “TEMP” will return the default temporary folder.

Thanks for the quick response… I was able to create a custom variable
during the initialization and use it.

Regards,
Mohit

Now available in Paquet Builder 2018

Is it possible for Paquet to create a function from the selection of the install language selected by the installation user ?
by function I mean to create 3 files from Resource Strings for installation in UsersIntstallFolderPath.
Just a pointer to a manual or example would be great… I can do it it php if I could run a php script in the installation but I would still need to referance the language selected by the user…
I can create it in the application if it is to difficult in the installation program.
I suppose the easiest way might be to create a custom action if I could access the users preferred language then I could stream line the users application GUI to the user’ s preferred language consisting of 8k+ characters.
I have created all the common language files as Resource strings in Paquet and need a way to create the selected language files from the Resource Strings.
any help with the best way to proceed would be appreciated…
I would gladly make a templete of the result file for the members to use for multi-language installations.

Sorry, but what you want is not clear.

During the setting up of Paquet an option is to offer a language change for the installer, I would like to know how to access the selected language chosen “LCID” value to aid in creating three files ?

From the doc:

Paquet Builder stores the LCID of the selected language into the variable named %PBLANGID%. You can use this variable to find out which language the end user selected (for instance, for your own application, you can write this value to the registry).

Thanking you doc,
I can work with that variable. I have a settings page in the application that allows selection of the language to use as well, But now the Client can navigate in there own language to there. Thanking you once again, an incredible encoding program your servicing well worth the money ‘ExeOutputforPHP’
Is their any application testers in the forum ?
cheers

You can always post your demo applications if you want (provided that it’s not spam).

Can you explain the uploading procedure for me please, I have used the Paquet builder for the installation program. There are two files one describes what the application does and the other is the Paquet installation file.
regards