Using ExeOutput for PHP to create a standalone SSL client with no UI

I have never used ExeOutput for PHP but I have written in PHP. I wanted to get a read on the feasibility of this goal by asking the community. I appreciate any thoughts on this:

I have a legacy application. Not that it’s material to this question, but to add shock and horror to my ask, it’s written in Adobe Authorware and I’m still able to modify the program if I need to. Due to Authorware’s ancient age it does not support TLS 1.2 or 1.3, which means I can’t post data from it to our backend over HTTPS.

I am researching ways to write a standalone Windows utility that Authorware can delegate to; that receives key:value parameters (such as a URL and other data); posts that data (maybe with curl?); then writes the server’s response to a log file and quits.

I don’t need this helpful utility to open a window or have a UI. In fact ideally it would not. It would also need it to run on my customers’ computers, so ideally it would have no external dependencies and require no customization of local file/folder permissions.

Does this sound achievable using ExeOutput for PHP?

You could write a PHP script to do that and compile it as a stand-alone console application with ExeOutput. cURL is perfect for dealing with remote server exchange through HTTP or HTTPS.
Of course, PHP can deal with key:value parameters or any other format.

I assume that for the PHP script to receive key:value pairs it would have to be served at localhost — or at least that’s how a normal script would do it. Does ExeOutput for PHP have a built-in server to produce the same functionality?

ExeOutput does not use a real localhost server, it simulates its own server. And in console applications, there is no server at all. For data input, there are several options: JSON, XML, CSV, text files, PHP sockets, EXE passed arguments…

Thanks, sounds good. I’ll look at your documentation for more info.

1 Like