V.B.A. + Registry

Hello to everyone!

I would like your opinion about a very weird issue I have. I wrote a V.B.A. script that writes directly in the registry adding a new key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ [New Key]). As an xlsm file everything running perfectly, as a standalone exe file (using the trial version of XLS Padlock) I didn’t receive any error, but I didn’t see also the new key in the registry!
Is there any suggestion on how may I write a V.B.A. script to write in the registry and then see the new entry (Key, Value, …etc.) when I will open “regedit.exe”?

Thank you in advance for your attention!

Could you post the VBA code you use to write to the registry?

Dear sirs,
I experience the same issue. It looks like I cannot correctly write to registry by VBA script when using a compiled Excel by 2019.1.
In details, I get no error messages but the registry key only exists inside “Excel” executable context. When I close the executable, I cannot find the key in the registry.

If I use 2018 version, all works fine.

Here my code:

Function RegKeyRead(i_RegKey As String) As String
Dim myWS As Object
On Error Resume Next
Set myWS = CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”)
RegKeyRead = myWS.RegRead(i_RegKey)
End Function

MsgBox (RegKeyRead(“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MyKey\MySubKey\LastOpenedCLXFolder”))

Thank you for checking,
Fil

Thanks for the code, but it’s for reading a key. What code did you use to write to the registry key?

Sorry for the mistake. Here is the code for writing the reg key.

'sets the registry key i_RegKey to the
'value i_Value with type i_Type
'if i_Type is omitted, the value will be saved as string
'if i_RegKey wasn’t found, a new registry key will be created
’ REG_SZ - A string. If the type is not specified, this will be used as Default.
’ REG_DWORD - A 32-bit number.
’ REG_EXPAND_SZ - A string that contains unexpanded references to environment variables.
’ REG_BINARY - Binary data in any form. You really shouldn’t touch such entries.
Sub RegKeySave(i_RegKey As String, _
i_Value As String, _
Optional i_Type As String = “REG_SZ”)
Dim myWS As Object
Set myWS = CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”)
myWS.RegWrite i_RegKey, i_Value, i_Type
End Sub

RegKeySave(“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MyKey\MySubKey\LastOpenedCLXFolder”, “c:\temp”)

I run the compiled Excel as administrator, as UAC is off on my side.

Fil

The fact that the EXE is run as administrator could be the culprit. We’ll check anyway.

Unfortunately, due to other legacy applications I need to run in my environment, I need to keep UAC off. Could you find and fix the issue?

Thank you,
Fil

Yes, we’re working on this issue.

Dear sirs,
is there a planned date for the fix on registry keys management?

Regards,
Fi

Yes, hopefully, this week or next one. We got delay due to COVID-19