AVG detecting .exe as a Virus - SOLVED

Hi all :slightly_smiling_face:

Slight problem - AVG is detecting the exe as a virus now. I have tried to submit the file to AVG but because it’s over 60MB AVG cannot accept the files. You may be able to see the thread here:

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=9065p0000009SDsAAM

Can anything be done from GDG’s end perhaps please ?

Image1

OR, is it possible to remove unused librarys from the exe, thus making it smaller, which would be a good idea anyway but would would also help with this issue ?

Many thanks,

Zoe

1 Like

BTW - I’ll mention - I uploaded the file to Virustotal and it is clean. Even AVG say it’s clean :smile: but on someone’s home computer, AVG say it’s detected as a virus !! They can’t make their minds up !

Heya all :slightly_smiling_face:

Just to let you know, AVG were actually pretty good and have said they have white listed the app. I’m now trying to see if I can get in their “Whitelisting Program”, in case it happens again.

I’ll let you know what happens.

All the best,

Zoe

Went through this process 4-5 years ago. Then when I updated my software, the fingerprint changed, and it was back to being id’ed as a virus. Never ending process but maybe they have changed now. I gave up trying to make AVG happy.

1 Like
  1. You can indeed keep the CEF runtime files outside the EXE and distribute them with the installer. You’ll find the installer in the Redist subfolder of ExeOutput.
    By doing this, the EXE file size will be reduced, making it more lightweight.

2. Some antiviruses can sometimes flag newly created executable files as potential threats, even when they are harmless. This is because the antivirus software is trying to protect the computer from unknown executables that might carry harmful payloads. Temporarily disabling your antivirus can help in such situations.
    Code signing would also be helpful: when an EXE file is signed using a code-signing certificate, it assures the user that the file is from a known source and has not been tampered with since it was signed. By code signing your EXE files, you provide an added layer of trust. Most antivirus software recognizes signed files and is less likely to flag them as threats. Thus, code signing can help resolve issues with antivirus false positives. All you need is getting a certificate. ExeOutput can then sign EXE files for you.

Hi there :slightly_smiling_face:

Re. “1”: Not quite sure how this helps ?

Re. “2”: Ok. I’ll have to work out how that works. Thanks.

For 1), it’s because you reached the limit for the upload form for AVG :wink:
2) See here:
https://www.exeoutput.com/help/security/codesigning/

1 Like

AHH - I see now !

Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi All :slight_smile:

Just an FYI - I finally managed to join AVG/Avast Whitelisting Program. You get your own FTP account to upload to, which can take files bigger than 60MB. As far as I can see, the file you upload disappears from the upload folder when it’s been checked. Wait till AVG has a definition update, then try AV checkng your software. I uploaded one today. It was whitelisted within 3 hours. :astonished: I was quite impressed !

Probably won’t be that fast every time though.

All the best,

Zoe

1 Like