Exchange File Is Empty Error +an issue with typing in text fields

Thank you for your sample. We’ll test this.

Did you manage to reproduce it at your end?

Okay, so I’ve investigated the issue in each new version of CEF testclient and it’s definitely a CEF bug.

The last version of CEF NOT to exhibit this behaviour was 3.3497.1841 - thus the reason ExeOutput v2018.3 worked okay.

All versions and builds of CEF beyond that point have the bug, including all the most recent builds.

Looks like I’d better file a bug report on the CEF forum - I’ll keep you posted!

[EDIT] Bug report posted here

That’s actually bad news, because we can’t fix it ourselves. Thanks for the bug report and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Yeah, I figured that - frustating for sure!

Hopefully they’ll track it down soon, from reading through other bug reports it looks like a few of them could be related.

In my case it’s not a complete showstopper, I only use alerts for occasional debugging, and now I know what to do I can easily click away from the window and back again and everything’s okay - but in some people’s apps that might not be the case - it affects confirm dialogs too.

I’ve now posted an actual HTML file that should reproduce the issue on Win7 to the bug report thread - but not yet tested on Win 8 or 10 - would be good if somebody here could try to reproduce on different systems.

• @gdgsupport Regarding the Exchange File Empty error - you mentioned the Index Out Of Bounds error message was replaced with Exchange File Empty - what does “Exchange File Is Empty” mean? - I still get the error occasionally, but hard to say exactly what’s causing it - although it’s possibly still related to the technique I use to display images from a users PC here ?.

Using HTML code @kim posted on CEF issue can confirm bug exist in Win 10.

Video_2019-02-08_115620

1 Like

Thanks Susan, I’ve posted the vid to the bug report - fingers crossed they’ll fix it soon!

1 Like

Excellent news:

Fixed in master revision f85816f, 3683 branch revision 59d1f01 and 3626 branch revision ad428f3.

Tested in the latest testclient app, and all good at this end.

@gdgsupport Do you have a timeframe for the next ExeOut update? and would be great if you could let me know what the “Exchange File is Empty” error means - I’m still looking for clues to track down the cause of the issue!

We’re working on the update too, but we will also take this opportunity to fix some other problems reported.

Just to clarify, regarding the Exchange File Empty error; is that likely an issue with ExeOut at your end then or should I contiunue trying to find a consistent way to reproduce it here? One thing I have noticed is that it seems to be more likely to happen upon first run of a freshly compiled exe where I’d first cleared the CEF and PHP runtime cache via the button in General Settings.

That’s not to say it doesn’t happen at other times too (which I think may be related to the image display technique I use), but it does seem more likely to occur on first run of new exe compiled after clearing the runtiume caches.

Just a quick heads up for @gdgsupport regarding the next version of ExeOut - I’ve discovered a new issue (unrelated to this thread) that affects all builds of the latest version of CEF (3626) that I’m guessing you’ll be planning use in the update.

It’s quite major for me, and I’d imagine it’s likely to affect others here too - I posted a bug report here.

Would be great if some of you could download the 3626 cef testclient and test in Windows 10 and maybe even vote on the issue so we can get it fixed as soon as poss!

@kim Done and same issue on Win10.

in case anyone else needs link to test CEF, look at Page non trouvée - Spotify and download the “Sample Application” version.

Thanks for the share. Indeed, our last build is currently based on CEF 3.3626.1891.g52be333.

Man, wish we could get an update so could use EXEOut. Got projects on hold simply because of this issue.

We’re still working on the high DPI problems but that should finally end soon.

Sad this is the case:(

Could you explain exactly what “Exchange File is Empty” actually means - I’m still getting the error occasionally, it seems to crop up more often upon first running a compiled exe.

I’m thinking it could possibly be something to do with the technique I use to display images - once all images used on a page are cached by the browser the error doesn’t seem to occur as often.

I use the technique I describe on this thread to display images stored on the users PC - the more new images on the page, the more likely the error is to occur - but after all images on a page have been displayed for the first time (cached in the browser), the error doesn’t occur on repeated refreshes of the respecitive page.

Any clues?

• probably worth pointing out, once the error notification has been closed, the app continues to function fine. Would it be possible for you to prevent the error appearing to users and give us the ability to just send it to a log file instead ??

Try ExeOutput 2019.1. Some problems were fixed.

1 Like

Excellent, looks like a great update, I’ll run some tests asap and let you know how it goes!

1 Like